April 22, 2016
Best Value and Guaranteed Fun Time - Register a Team >
A team of up to 10 people is only $150. Sign up and give yourself a team name (e.g. it can be your company or office name). During sign up, complete as much team member information as you can, then ask others to join you on Saturday. They can check in at Saturday's packet pickup under your team name. Asking them to contribute is up to you, either towards the team sign up or any donation they wish to give to the Maclin Scholarship Fund. Bring any extra donations raised to the 5K fundraiser this Saturday morning. Proceeds go to the Scholarship Fund!
In 2009, the Prince George's County Association of REALTORS® instituted the David Maclin Memorial Scholarship Fund in memory of REALTOR® David Maclin, the 2006 PGCAR President. To date, the Scholarship Fund has provided over $50,500 in scholarships to students graduating from Prince George's County High Schools. These scholarships can be used at universities, community colleges or trade schools. Come out to join us in this extremely worthwhile cause!
2016 State of Real Estate
Lunch and Forum Open to All PGCAR Members
Three Days of CIPS Designation Classes
Register by Midnight Tonight at Early Bird Rates
PGCAR and MAR are offering 3 Days of Certified International Property Specialist Designation Training at PGCAR. Register for 1, 2 or all 3. Register by midnight Friday, April 23 for early bird pricing. Each class lasts from 9 am to 5 pm, and includes lunch.
Local REALTOR® Graduates from MAR Leadership Academy
PGCAR Member, Desmond Aberdeen, of Keller Williams Preferred Properties is the latest Prince George's County REALTOR®
to graduate from the Maryland Association of REALTORS®
The MAR Leadership Academy offers an intensive curriculum designed to develop skills in leadership, communications, strategic planning, legislative and government affairs and community involvement. Classes are conducted over 7 months and stress the value of professional and personal commitment to business, charitable and civic endeavors.
Desmond was among twenty-two other Maryland REALTOR®
graduates from the sixteenth annual Leadership Academy.
He was honored at ceremonies held in Annapolis. 2014 NAR President Steve Brown addressed the graduates and guests. Brown encouraged MAR Leadership Academy graduates to get involved and to get their peers involved. Brown added, ". . . that the greatest sign of leadership that one can achieve, is to gather a group of people together to achieve one common goal."
Prince George's County Middle School Student
Recognized for Fair Housing Poster Design
At a recent celebration recognizing winners of the 2016 Maryland Association of REALTORS® Fair Housing Poster Contest, Prince Georgian, Merlin Rincon Perez, 7th grader at Thomas Johnson Middle School was honored as the winner representing the Prince George's County Association of REALTORS®.
Merlin joined 12 other students from Maryland, who were guests at the Maryland Sate House to accept their award from Maryland Secretary of Housing, Kenneth Holt.
Merlin's poster will be featured in the 2017 MAR Fair Hosing Poster calendar. Congratulations Merlin!
PGCAR recently revised and/or discontinued the listed forms. Please immediately begin using the new forms and disregard copies or electronic files containing the old/outdated blank forms. The new forms are currently available in PDF format at PGCAR.com
and will be available soon under the PGCAR directories at ZipForms and DotLoop.
Of significant importance is the discontinuance of Form #1303, the Jurisdictional Addendum to the MAR Residential Contract of Sale. This form closely mirrored PGCAR Form #1302, the Disclosure and Notice Addendum (DNA). In fact, the DNA already included all of the mandatory disclosures that were contained in Form #1303, plus several more that are recommended to protect agents and sellers from liability exposures. Having both forms created confusion. As such, the PGCAR Forms Committee acted to maintain the DNA Form over the Jurisdictional Addendum.
- Removed Form #503 - Notice To Tenant Lead Based Paint and Lead Based Paint Hazards:
This form was discontinued as the suggested disclosures are now incorporated into the PGCAR Lease.
- Revised Form #1100 - Property Management and Exclusive Rental Agreement
Latest revision 3/22/16.
- Item 27 - Revised to address new legislation relative to fines for failure to obtain a rental license.
- Item 35 - New paragraph added, "Notice To Owner - Lead Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act."
- Item 36 - New paragraph added, Liens / Mortgages / Judgments / Foreclosure / Bankruptcy.
- Item 38 - New paragraph added to address legislation, "Age Restricted / Senior Rental Community / Facility."
- Revised Form #1105 - Single Family Dwelling Lease
Latest revision 3/22/16.
- Item 3 - Revised to address legislation relative to security deposit interest owed on short term rentals.
- Item 9 - Revised to address and clarify liability for pet / service animal damages.
- Item 20 c - New paragraph added addressing "Notice to Tenants Renting in Condominiums."
- Item 40 - New paragraph added, "Notice To Owner - Lead Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act."
- Item 45 - New paragraph added, "Age Restricted / Senior Rental Community / Facility."
- Revised Form #1301 - Addendum of Clauses
Latest revision 3/16.
- Item 5 - Paragraph removed. Please refer to MAR Home Inspection Addendum.
- Item 6 - Paragraph removed. Please refer to the MAR "As Is" addendum.
- Item 7 - Revised with grammatical clarification.
- Item 8 - Revised with grammatical clarification.
- Revised Form #1302 - Prince George's County Disclosure and Notice Addendum (DNA)
Latest revision date is 3/16.
- Item 1 - Added Buyer / Seller initial lines to verify understanding of Item #1.
- Item 11 - Revised to address State and County ordinances that require disclosure and clarifies that disclosure, "by Seller," is made "prior to" the time the Contract is signed.
- Item 21 - New paragraph added, "Rental License Required."
- Removed Form #1303 - Jurisdictional Addendum To The MAR Residential Contract of Sale
As indicated in the opening paragraph, this form is discontinued in favor of using PGCAR Form #1302 (DNA) as the "standard" local addendum to the MAR Residential Contract of Sale.
- Removed Form #1407 - Home Inspection Notice
This form is discontinued. It is unnecessary upon removal of Paragraph #5 in the Standard Addendum of Clauses (Form # 1301).
REALTORS® Recognize Excellence in Sales Production
At a gala event on March 30, 2016, the Prince George's County Association of REALTORS® recognized area REALTORS® for their 2015 sales production.
The REALTOR® Award Celebration, held at Martins Crosswinds in Greenbelt, is the Association's premiere recognition of outstanding agent performance for the calendar year 2015. REALTORS® must have attained a minimum of $2.5 million of sales activity to qualify.
Almost 100 County REALTORS® received awards recognizing their "personal best" in sales production. In all, over 240 sales agents, mortgage lenders, settlement company representatives,family, friends and colleagues were in attendance to celebrate the winners. "We've endured some troubling conditions, but now, after a six-year absence, the market is strong and the time is right to again recognize agent achievement," stated Association Executive Vice President, Mike Graziano.
Taking home the top honor of the evening, First Place Platinum Individual General Brokerage, was John Lesniewski of RE/MAX United Real Estate, with $35 million in sales activity. Placing first in the Platinum Team Competition was The Bill Franklin Team of Long and Foster Real Estate, with over $43 million in production.
Additional Awards were presented to the Rookie of the Year, Demetrius Crawford of TriStar Realty, who achieved a remarkable $4.2 million in sales volume for his first 12 months in the real estate industry. Industry stalwarts, Donald Frederick, Rose Marie Jung and Chris Majerle were awarded the REALTOR®
Emeritus Award for over 40 years of consecutive service to the National Association of REALTORS®
and the Prince George's County Association of REALTORS®
Awards Chair, Desiree Callender was relentless in her effort to bring the awards back after a six-year sabbatical. "I am pleased to have such a prominent showing of qualified agents for the return of our awards recognition ceremony." One hundred qualified entries indicate that real estate in the County is doing well. Agents are busy again and like being recognized for their performance.
Individual General Brokerage - Platinum Winners (Over $10.5 million):
- John Lesniewski $35 Million
- Mike Patrick $22 Million
- Melanie Gamble $15 Million
- Anthony Mason $13 Million
- Young Kang $13 Million
- Jeff Bridgegum $13 Million
- Sam Barbieri $13 Million
- George Patterson $12 Million
- Gilbert Poudrier $12 Million
- Yolanda Muckle $12 Million
- Jill Crofcheck $11 Million
- Desiree Callender $10.5 Million
Team General Brokerage - Platinum (Over $10.5 million):
- The Bill Franklin Team, Bill Franklin $43 Million
- The Pirovic Team, Jean Bourne-Pirovic $22 Million
- The Lancaster Team, Cory Lancaster $21 Million
Rookie of the Year 2015:
Demetrius Crawford $4.2 Million
Back And Better
REALTOR® Association Chimes In A New Era
Reprinted from Prince George's Suite
By Xavier Bias
After a six-year absence the celebration is back, as Prince George's County Association of REALTORS® (PGCAR) recognized the incredible performance of its agents for their sales production in 2015. On March 30, the gala awarded almost 100 county REALTORS®.
The sales agents had to make a minimum of $2.5 million in sales to qualify. The top recipients exceeded that qualification at the platinum levels, where the minimum sales are $10.5 million to receive the Individual General Brokerage Award. John Lesniewski of RE/MAX United Real Estate, came in first place with his sales reaching an outstanding $35 million.
The Bill Franklin Team of Long and Foster Real Estate, won first place for their platinum level sales. With over $43 million in production, they received first place in the Team Production General Brokerage Awards.
Rookie of The Year 2015 is Demetrius Crawford of TriStar Realty with $4.2 million in sales during his 12 months as a real estate agent.
These agents were able to produce award worthy sales thanks to positive changes in the real estate market. "2015 was a particularly good year for agent production," said PGCAR President Chuck Ottley, an award recipient himself. "Property values are up, finance options are attractive, homes are selling in less time and for more money. This scenario translates into good numbers for real estate agents and, quite frankly good news for home buyers and sellers."
REALTORS® Introductory Guide to Rentals 2016
Now Available to PGCAR Members
The REALTORS® Introductory Guide to Rentals has been updated for 2016. Whether you manage one rental, specialize in rental property managment, or you're considering rentals, the Guide will contain useful information for you. Here's just a few of the topics covered!
- Advertising Rental Properties
- Landlord Tenant Law - Legal Requirements
- Showing Properties
- The Rental Application Process
- Fair Housing Requirements and Resources
- Protections for Seniors - NEW
- Treatment of Pets Versus Service Animals
- Security Deposits - updated
- Rental Licensing - updated
- Recent Legislative Changes Affecting Rentals
- Resource Links
- . . . and Much, Much More!
- A "Protections for Seniors" section was added (on page 10), to explain the new requirement to offer a two-year lease option to any persons of 55 years of age or older, if the rental dwelling unit is in an age restricted senior housing development. The new law takes effect on June 1, 2016.
- The Security Deposits section was revised (on page 13), to clarify the Maryland and Prince George's law changes which became effective January 1, 2015. Interest on rental security deposits are now to accrue at the daily U.S. Treasury Yield Curve Rate for 1 year or 1.5% a year, whichever is greater. A resource link was also added, to the revised Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Rental Security Deposit Calculator.
- The Rental Licensing section was updated (pages 17 - 18), to include details of the new fine of $1,000 per month for operating a rental unit without a license. This new penalty went into effect on January 11, 2016.
- At the end of the Rentals Guide, two Maryland DHCD resource links were added (on page 24).
AT A GLANCE: NEXT-UP CEU AT PGCAR
PGCAR members save BIG!
Early bird registration is only $18 for 3 CEU classes and $11 for 1.5 CEU classes.
See the complete schedule and register at www.pgcar.com >
Friday, May 6
MREC Required Supervision
- 3 MD Required or Elective CEU; Required Every 2-year Renewal Cycle for Brokers, Branch Managers and Team Leaders
Friday, May 13
- 3 DC & MD Elective CEU
Help Homebuyers and Sellers Find YOU!
Increase Your Leads. Dont' Leave Your realtor.com Profile Empty
ALL REALTORS® have a profile on realtor.com.
Is yours empty -- or complete with your listings, contact info, photos and more that will help attract buyers and sellers to YOU?
We urge all PGCAR REALTORS®. Please take advantage of this great tool, already included in your NAR membership.
Log in to claim YOUR realtor.com profile >
Then use this tool to manage what people learn about you on realtor.com, and help build repeat and referral business for yourself and your team.
PGCAR Membership - It Pays!
As your Association, we strive to be a productive resource for you. As such, we are pleased to offer a full range of benefits to our REALTOR® and Affiliate members, and meaningful ways to be involved.
Another great opportunity for Affiliates is to join the Women's Council of REALTORS® Prince George's Chapter.
Here is the Affiliate Application >
REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo
May 9 - 14 in Washington, DC
Are YOU participating in the REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo right around the corner in Washington DC? Take advantage of this major FREE and LOCAL opportunity to expand your real estate knowledge, gain insightful information, network with colleagues and have fun -- right in your own back yard.
This annual REALTORS® convention is a short Metro trip away, and described as a "must attend" by past participants. Take advantage of the FREE meetings, training sessions, and the Trade Expo. The Expo is open Wednesday and Thursday, 10 am to 6 pm and includes over 100 exhibitors.
A few 2016 highlights:
- NAR 360 - 4 pm Tuesday, May 10
- NAR Agency Visits - Various days; Only a few spaces still available.
- The Race for the White House in 2016: Bob Woodward's Perspectives - 8:30 am Wednesday, May 11
- Cocktail Reception at Trade Expo - 5 pm Wednesday, May 11
- Property Management Forum: How To Stay Ahead of Environmental & Energy Trends - 10:30 am Thursday, May 12
- Power Brokers: Expand Your Horizons, Boost Your Business - 10:30 am Thursday, May 12
- NAR 2017 First Vice President Candidates Forum - 1 pm Thursday, May 12
- Criminal Background Checks, Fair Housing Compliance and You - 9 am Friday, May 13
- The Minds of the Millennials - Motivation, Mobility, and Making a Home - 10:30 am Friday, May 13
Tips to maximize your experience:
- Sign up to ride the bus from PGCAR to the Legislative Meetings on Thursday, May 12. Be there to support JoAnne Poole for 2017 NAR First Vice President at the Candidates Forum, to visit the Trade Expo, and attend additional FREE meetings as you wish!
- Registration is FREE to REALTOR® members. Save time picking up your badge upon arrival by registering online today >
- To see the most, check out the meetings and expo schedules. Plan your Convention Schedule in advance.
- Download the NAR Legislative App to your smart phone in advance, to more easily navigate the event.
- Plan your route to the Meetings and Expo in advance.
- Metro from New Carrollton: Take the Orange Line (towards Vienna) to Metro Center. At Metro Center, transfer to the Red Line (towards Shady Grove) and ride to the Woodley Park-Zoo Metro Station. The Marriott Wardman Park trade show location (2660 Woodley Road NW) is a 0.13 mile walk from the station.
- Metro from Greenbelt: Take the Green Line (towards Branch Avenue) to Fort Totten. At Fort Totten, transfer to the Red Line (towards Shady Grove) and ride to the Woodley Park-Zoo Metro Station. The Marriott Wardman Park trade show location (2660 Woodley Road NW) is a 0.13 mile walk from the station.
- If driving, please carpool if possible. The nearest parking fills up quickly, and you'll save by sharing parking fees.
Claim Your Free .REALTOR Domain Registration
Available to NAR REALTORS® and Brokerages
2016 is the last chance to get a .REALTOR web address FREE for the first year, one per member.
The term "REALTOR" is searched over 2 million times a month!
Help consumers easily find you -- with a .REALTOR web address.
After the first free domain, pricing for additional domains starts at $39.95, with multiple domains and multiple year discounts available.
Don't Miss Out! Claim your .REALTOR domain today >
2017 NAR Committee Membership
Application Deadline is Monday, May 23
Did you know there's over 90 National Association of REALTORS® committees and working groups? Including the Member Communications, YPN Advisory, CIPS Advisory, Diversity, Housing Opportunity, State and Local Issues Mobilization, Resort and Second Home Real Estate Committees, and several other committees. One is sure to be in your special interest area! Please check out the Committees and see if there's one you should apply for. Many committee meetings are by telecon. Meetings are also typically held during the May Legislative Meetings in Washington, DC and the November NAR Conference and Expo.
For complete application instructions, just click here and log in >
Please Note! Beginning in 2020, service at the national level for at least one year will be required for earning REALTOR® Emeritus status. You CAN contribute, and it's easier than you think. Most volunteer at the local level first, then at the state level, then at the national level.
Reach Out and Discover MRIS at the MRIS R.O.A.D. Show!
MRIS will hit the R.O.A.D. in May and June to share new products and ideas and inform you about how to get more out of your MRIS subscription.
At these events, you'll learn how to use MRIS products to their full potential and explore how they can make you more successful. You'll also be able to delve into the details - and discover those hidden gems you need, but may not realize are already available to you. As a special bonus, you'll get an insider's peek at the new look of the MRIS.com website before it launches!
The MRIS R.O.A.D. Show will visit eight locations, including La Fontaine Bleue in Lanham on June 2.
Registration is free. Visit MRISroadshow.com to find out more about the event, register for your choice of date / location, and learn how to win great prizes, including a free year of MRIS subscription fees.
Making Home Affordable (MHA) Resources
Visit the new online toolkit that helps REALTORS® and other trusted advisors gain valuable information to help homeowners struggling with mortgage payments.
Here's a few highlights:
A WEALTH OF INFORMATION - 24 X 7! - Find important industry information, as well as details and registration for PGCAR Events and Classes - all at the PGCAR.com Events Calendar.
- MHA Storefront
Brochures, fact sheets and posters which may be downloaded or ordered for delivery to you, for the purpose of promoting MHA programs that help homeowners lower their mortgage payments or seek a better alternative to foreclosure. Sample fact sheet >
- Webinar: MHA Tools and Resources for Trusted Advisors
Tuesday, April 26, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Learn how to navigate through HMPadmin.com and MakingHomeAffordable.gov. This session will explore all of the resources that are available to you, the homeowner trusted advisor, to assist homeowners who may qualify for assistance under the Making Home Affordable Program.
- Webinar: CheckMyNPV.com
Wednesday, May 4, 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Learn how this free online tool helps homeowners understand the net present value (NPV) evaluation process under HAMP by conducting an NPV evaluation of their mortgage. This session describes the calculator's easy step-by--step data entry process that allows homeowners to conduct an independent NPV evaluation and obtain a downloadable copy of the results.
- - - CONSUMER'S CORNER - - -
Great reasons to stay in touch! Share these with your customers.
||Let Your Voice be Heard. Please VOTE!
MD Primary Election Day is Tuesday, April 26, 7 am to 8 pm. Find your polling place >
The DC primary voter registration deadline is Monday, May 16.
Click here for a DC Voter Registration Form > or register online >
DC Primary Early Voting is Tuesday, May 31 thru Saturday, June 11.
Early voting centers will be listed here >
DC Primary Election Day is Tuesday, June 14, 7 am to 8 pm. Find your polling place >
Please note the Republican Party already held its primary on March 12. Results >
Customer Service Tip: Create a simple "Thank You" or "Thinking of You" note to mail or email to those you have sold a home to in the last 4 years. You may wish them well in their new home again. Politely and in a non-partisan way, share with them the online link or printed voter registration form and deadline to easily update their voting records -- so that they know how, when and where to vote, close to their new home.
Don't forget to include your business card or contact information!
Mortgage Rates Remain Near 3-Year Low
Mortgage rates changed very little last week. The 30-year fixed-rate average remains near its 3.58% low for 2016, which was the lowest rate since May 2013.
"Volatility in financial markets subsided over the past week, allowing Treasury yields to stabilize," said Sean Becketti, Freddie Mac's chief economist. "As a result, the 30-year mortgage rate was mostly flat, up only 1 basis point to 3.59 percent. The release of March's existing-home sales report, which shows monthly growth at 5.1 percent, suggests homebuyers are taking advantage of low mortgage rates as the spring homebuying season gets underway."
Freddie Mac reports the following averages for the week ending April 21, 2016:
The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.59%, up from 3.58% ~ Last year: 3.65%
The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 2.85%, down from 2.86% ~ Last year: 2.92%
The 5-year Treasury-indexed hybrid ARM averaged 2.81%, down from 2.84% ~ Last year: 2.84%
Freddie Mac's Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey >
NEWS YOU SHOULD KNOW
National Market News:
Trending Topics & Tips: