The PGCAR staff and I are frequently asked, "Hey, what do I get for my association dues anyway?" Of course we respond by rattling off the myriad of Association benefits one by one; it's a long list! Even though we always miss a few key benefits, the answer sounds great and satisfies the inquiry. But that doesn't relieve the concern we feel, when our dues paying members are not using everything available from their association membership.
So instead, a few members, Brokers and staff challenged ourselves to contemplate... just for a moment... "what would your business be like if there were no professional trade group like PGCAR looking out for YOUR best interest?"
- How would your business function without the state-of-the-art Bright MLS system, which was created, in part, with the cooperation and capital investment of the metro region REALTOR® Associations, including PGCAR?
- Would people buy homes here, if Prince George's County had passed the $.15 property tax increase? Suppose PGCAR had been unsuccessful in their very public fight against that proposal, which resulted in only a $.04 increase?
- Would home ownership here and nationwide be an attractive investment without the mortgage interest deduction, which the National Association of REALTORS® is fighting to preserve?
- Please think about the complex abundance of mandatory and necessary real estate contract forms offered by PGCAR and Maryland REALTORS®. What would your legal expense be if you or your firm had to hire an attorney to draft and develop those forms, and what would your liability exposure be without them?
- Consider your legal exposure. Without an organized dispute resolution mechanism like the Grievance and Professional Standards processes offered by PGCAR and Maryland REALTORS®, you would be on your own, most likely before a judge, to resolve brokerage disputes. Disputes with clients would be dealt with before the Real Estate Commission and possibly the court system. How much money and time would that cost you?
I hope, after considering what it would be like to NOT have a real estate association, that you come to the conclusion that thankfully you have one, and you can rest easy knowing that you can turn to PGCAR for political advocacy, legal assistance, education, advice and more, and all for the relatively affordable price of about $1.90 a day.Michael A. Graziano
Executive Vice President