David Maclin Memorial Scholarship Fund
First Annual 5K Fun Walk/Run - Saturday, April 14
Besides having fun and enjoying a beautiful day together, why are we meeting on April 14?
Erika * Carl * Jasmin * Amanda * Shayla
Uzoamaka * Imani * Warren * Demisse * Reginald
and All Future Recipients of the David Maclin Memorial Scholarship!
Every person that walks or runs with us, or contributes, helps local high school graduates
pursue their dreams of higher education and of making a difference.
Commit to helping more students reach their dreams by joining us now!
Click here to register online TODAY!
Sponsor the 5K Walk/Run by March 31 to be listed on the t-shirts and event banners >
||Saturday, April 14
(RAIN OR SHINE)
||9 - 11:30 am 5K Fun Walk/Run
8 - 8:45 am Registration & Packet Pickup
||Marlboro Ridge Club House
||$25 - adults, $5 - children under 12
$30 for adult registrations after March 31
Please post this flyer in your office lobby and share the event link from facebook.com/pgcar.
Flyer & Printable Registration >
Better yet - print out some copies and ask to post them at the next five places you visit.
Office Lobby * Coffee Shop * Sporting Goods Merchandiser * Book Store * Community Mail Box
Let's post the David Maclin 5K Scholarship Fun Walk/Run all over Prince George's County and change the lives of deserving local high school graduates!
Printable Sponsorship Contribution Form > Runner Sponsor Form >
Luxury Home Marketing Designation - This Week
Time is Running Out! Reserve Your Space Today to
Earn the Coveted CLHMS Designation!
In addition, you will discover how to:
- Reach more affluent prospects
- Increase your average price
- List and sell more luxury homes
- Deliver outstanding service to affluent buyers and sellers
- Set yourself apart as a luxury home expert
- Grow your business and increase your income
This Thursday, March 22 and Friday, March 23
8:30 am - 5:00 pm at PGCAR
Earns 2 CRS Elective Units • Lunch Provided Both Days
Sponsored by the Women's Council of REALTORS®
Maryland and DC Primary Elections - Two Weeks Away
Early Voting Opens THIS Saturday!
Maryland Primary Election Early Voting
This Saturday - Next Thursday, March 24 - 29
Open 10 am - 8 pm except for Sunday, March 25. Open 12 noon - 6 pm on Sunday.
Prince George's County early voting centers >
DC Primary Election Early Voting
This Saturday - Next Saturday, March 24 - 31
Open 8:30 am - 7 pm except for Sunday, March 25. Closed Sunday.
District of Columbia early voting centers >
Tuesday, March 27
Primary Election - Absentee Ballot Application Deadline
Click here for a Maryland Absentee Ballot Application >
Click here for a District of Columbia Absentee Ballot Application >
View all the important MD and DC election dates on www.pgcar.com >
2013 NAR Leadership Academy - Develop Your Knowledge and Skills
Applications for 2013 Graduating Class Due by Saturday, March 31
To our many members already actively involved, with a passion for the industry and a vision for the future of real estate, applications for the 2013 graduating class of the National Association of REALTORS® Leadership Academy are due by Saturday, March 31.
The Leadership Academy is an exclusive nine-month, five-stage training and development program to nurture future NAR leaders. Training will be structured around NAR national meetings, where you'll experience stimulating discussions with NAR leaders, access to powerful resources, insights into different world views - just to name a few.
Details and Application >
You are Invited to the Women's Council of REALTORS®
34th Annual Prayer Breakfast
All Things are Possible!
Good Friday, April 6
8:00 am Registration * 8:30 am Breakfast / Program
Toll Brothers Clubhouse
11401 Marlboro Ridge Road, Upper Marlboro, MD
Guest Speaker: Pastor William A. Spence, II of Harvest Life Fellowship
Invite your family and friends to join us as we meet and fellowship with co-workers and associates to give thanks together on Good Friday.
All REALTORS®, Affiliates and Guests are Welcome!
Please register in advance at pgcar.com >
Sponsorship opportunities are also available (includes 2 tickets and recognition in program).
Become a Sponsor online at www.pgcar.com or contact Kelli Baxter at email@example.com.
Don't Be an April Fool, Get Credit Smart!
In Just Two Days of Training Become WHC Certified
Workforce Housing Certification
CreditSmartTM on Thursday, April 12
3 Classes in 1 Day (6 CEU) on Thursday, April 19
9 am - 4 pm each day
PGCAR Association Office, 9200 Basil Court, Largo, MD
Become WHC certified - Only 2 days of training required.
Each full day of training is only $25 for members!
Thursday, April 12 — CreditSmartTM
This is a "Training for Trainers" program with a comprehensive curriculum that will prepare you to educate consumers about getting and maintaining good credit, credit scoring and money management towards achieving their financial goals. Any prior CreditSmartTM certification is counted toward WHC. Register >
Thursday, April 19 — Bridging the Gap from Availability to Affordability, State and Local Programs, and Federal Programs and National Initiatives
A full day of training, with three classes in one day, that will teach you about a variety of grants and programs - including ones that can help first-time homebuyers, government resources, and specialty programs (HUD, FHA, VA). Register >
MAR Presents: Bio Sciences in MD and the Impact on Commercial Real Estate
Thursday, May 3
Earn 3.0 CE Hours (1.5 Professional Enhancement, 1.5 Legal/Legislative)
8 am - 12:15 pm
Four Points by Sheraton BWI
7032 Elm Road, Baltimore, MD
Open to All Real Estate Practitioners
Learn about emerging trends in employment in Bio Sciences and the 2012 Legislative Session, and their impact on Commercial Real Estate.
Details and Registration >
WANTED: 2012 - 2013 MAR Committee Volunteers
Committee descriptions and a volunteer form are now online at www.mdrealtor.org
. All MAR members are encouraged to apply for 2 but no more than 3 preferred committee choices. Some committees have specific requirements; however, every attempt will be made to accommodate your request for at least one committee assignment. Committee selections are prioritized by qualifications and date received.
Reminder: Current MAR committee members must re-apply for 2012 - 2013 MAR Committee Memberships.
Applications Due By Wednesday, May 9 >
2012 NAR Midyear Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo
Midyear Meetings & Trade Expo is where NAR members come together to take an active role in advancing the real estate industry, public policy, and the association. There will be a variety of meetings and events including: special issues forums, committee meetings
, legislative activities
, the industry trade show
, and a Rally on Capitol Hill
||May 14 - 19
|Capitol Hill Visits:
||May 16 - 17
||May 16 - 17
For more information, to plan your Midyear Schedule, and to register click here.
Rally to Protect the American Dream
Mark Your Calendars - May 17, 9:30 am - 11 am
“Never before has housing and real estate been forced to defend the benefits they provide our country.
We must have a sustainable, durable housing economy for generations to come.
We are going to defend the American Dream from the doubters who say home ownership and real estate have run their course.
We are going to show Congress that no one cares more about revitalizing real estate for future generations than REALTORS® do.”
Quotes from Moe Veissi about the Rally to Protect the American Dream
On May 17th at 9:30 am, join us in Washington during the NAR Legislative Midyear Meetings
to Rally and Protect the American Dream of Homeownership!
Details and RSVP at www.REALTORRALLY.org
REALTOR® MAGAZINE SEEKS GOOD NEIGHBOR NOMINATIONS
Five Winners will Receive $10,000 Grants and National Publicity
REALTOR® Magazine is seeking nominees for the 2012 Good Neighbor Awards. The program recognizes REALTORS® whose extraordinary commitment to community service has helped make their communities better places to live. Five winners will be announced in the November/December issue of REALTOR® Magazine, will be recognized at the 2012 REALTORS® Conference in Orlando, and will receive a $10,000 grant for their charity - along with additional publicity, prizes and benefits.
If a REALTOR® you know is putting forth the effort to make a difference in the community, help their cause by nominating them today!
Deadline for entry is Friday, May 18. Click here for more details. Click here for rules and an entry form.
MY HOME AND BUY SUITLAND ANNOUNCE 2012 INCOME QUALIFICATION LEVELS
Homebuyers Can Now Qualify at Higher Income Levels
See the newly effective maximum Area Median Income levels at www.pgcar.com
for the My HOME program and Buy Suitland Initiative
. Homebuyers earning up to 80% AMI
can be eligible for the My HOME program
, which will grant up to 5% towards the purchase of any buyer-occupied residential property in Prince George's County. Homebuyers earning up to 120% AMI can be eligible for the Buy Suitland Initiative, which will grant up to 7% towards purchases within Suitland of foreclosures, short sales or a residence where the seller is 60 days delinquent on mortgage payments.
Also see a copy of the Income Calculation chart, needed for submission to My HOME >
Most of these programs can be used in combination. Information on these and other homebuyer savings are available at pgcar.com. Sales agents - please study up and stay familiar with current homebuyer incentives and send links to your contacts from these public information pages. For more My HOME program details, members can login to pgcar.com Members Only.
- Buy Suitland Initiative - Civic Employees and Incomes up to 120% AMI are eligible. Details >
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta (FHLB Atlanta) - 2 new programs - The first offers up to $15,000 towards a foreclosure purchase. The second offers up to $7,500 to homebuyers earning up to 80% AMI and buying within NSP targeted areas in MD or DC. These two programs do NOT require you to be a first-time homebuyer.
Consumer information page > Details & webinars for REALTORS® >
- My HOME - provides up to 5% of the home sale price in Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance to County Homebuyers who have not owned a home within the last 3 years. See details at www.pgcar.com or the County website. Even more details in Members Only >
- Centex Offers Additional Savings to My HOME Program - The My HOME program has established a relationship with Centex Homes. Your homebuyer can buy a Centex Home in the Victory Promenade development (behind FED EX Field) with My HOME funds and get seller assistance too. They have units that are standing and ready within 30 days. For more information or to schedule a time to view these homes, please call (301) 350-5875 or email Jennifer Eaddy.
- American Dream Downpayment Assistance (ADDI) - up to $10,000 to County Homebuyers who have not owned a home within the last 3 years. Details >
- The Maryland Mortgage Program (MMP) offered through the state's Community Development Administration (CDA) has announced 2 loan products for distressed properties. All MMP products have low, fixed interest rates and some offer matching funds. These 2 new products will assist in revitalizing communities burdened with foreclosed and rundown properties.
The Acquisition / Rehabilitation Mortgage Program helps purchase a single-family home as a primary residence and obtain funds for needed repairs and renovations.
The Homeward Bound Program offers eligible buyers of foreclosed or short sale property at a lower rate mortgage.
Program Details >
April 17 3 CEU Training Details and Registration >
- Freddie Mac HomeSteps SmartBuySM program offers a limited FREE two-year HomeProtect® Home Warranty and up to 30% savings on new appliances.
Home Listings and incentive details are at www.homesteps.com >
Sign up for homesteps.com buyer leads >
KEEP THE SAVE THE MID MOMENTUM GOING!
The Outcome is Far From Certain
If you have not already done so, please take 5 minutes to contact your State Delegate, Senator and Governor today
, and post this link on your Facebook page. Let's keep getting this message out to our family, friends and neighbors, as we continue the fight to save the MID! Our efforts are making a difference, but the outcome is still uncertain. We are clearly not out of the woods yet.
Do Your Part to Protect this Important Tax Benefit!
Rally Photo Gallery Video - Save MD's Mortgage Interest Deduction
MID IN THE NEWS!
Articles on the Status of the Fight to Protect the MID
NEW FHA ANNUAL AND UPFRONT PREMIUMS ANNOUNCED!
FHA has published ML 2012-04
detailing annual and up-front mortgage insurance premium changes. Changes are applicable to all single family forward mortgage programs (except those noted in the memo), and are effective on or after 4/9/12 (some loans on or after 6/11/2012).
Read more >
PGCAR REALTORS® - Get Connected Today!
Sign Up for the Real Estate Agent Directory at www.facebook/pgcar
PGCAR's Facebook page
has a new feature highlighting our REALTOR®
members! The www.pgcar.com Find a REALTOR®
Directory is used by a number of homebuyers. Now there's an additional, new Find a REALTOR®
added to www.facebook.com/pgcar
Facebook users can search for REALTORS® via this link, based on location and area of expertise. Before connecting to a REALTORS®' page, consumers can view your profile snapshot. So increase your visibility. Add yourself to the Facebook REALTORS® Directory! This is another FREE service!
Sign up today at www.facebook.com/pgcar!
- Click on the "Find a REALTOR®" link in the left-hand column.
- Then click on the "Agents Only" link above the directory.
- Next, click on the "Go to App" button under "Ready to get started?"
Explaining the 3.8% Health Care Tax
A 3.8 percent levy on certain investment income will be taking effect in 2013. Although many were concerned about this tax - because of misinformation passed over the internet and through email - in reality, very few home owners will be affected. Individuals who make more than $200,000 a year (married $250,000) whose home sale proceeds exceed $250,000 (married $500,000) may be affected; however, there are still other income and tax particulars that are considered before the 3.8% levy is applied.
NAR advises members become familiar with the tax, but they caution against REALTORS® counseling their clients because the amount will vary from individual to individual.
NAR Brochure on How the Tax Works >
Read the entire article at REALTOR.org >
Market Sen$e: Mortgage Rates on the Rise
Results released on March 15 are showing mortgage rates are moving higher along with the positive jobs data and increasing bond yields; however the 30-year fixed rate is still below 4.00 percent - helping to keep homebuyer affordability high. Frank Nothaft, vice president and chief economist of Freddie Mac, states, "An upbeat employment report for February caused U.S. Treasury bond yields to increase over the week and mortgage rates followed. The economy gained
227,000 jobs, above the market consensus forecast, and revisions added another 61,000 to January and December. Job growth over the last six months was the strongest since 2006."
Freddie Mac reports the following averages for the week ending March 15, 2012:
Freddie Mac's Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey >
- The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.92 percent, up from 3.88 percent.
- The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.16 percent, up from 3.13 percent.
- The 5-year Treasury-indexed hybrid ARM averaged 2.83 percent, up from 2.81 percent.
- The 1-year Treasury-indexed ARM averaged 2.79 percent, up from 2.73 percent.
February Single Family Home Sales Improve in Prince George's County
January to February Comparisons
The numbers for the single family market increased from January to February (listings +8.2%, contracts +18.1% and settlements +4.8%), while the co-op/condo market decreased slightly or stayed virtually the same (listings -3.2%, contracts -0.1%, and settlements -6.2%).
Single family and condo/co-op listings 2012 year-to-date are only about half of what they were at the end of February 2011 (both down by approximately 43%) which bodes well for stabilizing or improving home prices. Contracts are on the rise for both single family homes and condos/co-ops (both up by about 20% over 2011). Single family home settlements are only slightly below what they were in 2011 at this time (-1.6%), while condo/co-op settlements rose by 12.5%. Settlements are lagging contracts by a longer time period in 2012 than in 2011, which makes this number also somewhat favorable. The numbers appear that buyers may be experiencing early "spring fever", but it is taking most homebuyers longer to finalize mortgages.
Visit www.pgcar.com/stats for detailed Prince George's County home sales statistics.
Like us at facebook.com/pgcar for regular market news and updates!
Foreclosure to Rental Pilot Program
NAR Urges the FHA to Proceed Cautiously with its REO Initiative
A government pilot program to turn bank-owned properties into rentals could be disruptive and counterproductive to some markets. According to recent NAR analyses, even though the inventory of foreclosure properties is decreasing across the country, there is a noticeable difference in numbers between states that require judicial proceedings and those that do not. Inventories in the judicial states are 2.5 times higher than non-judicial states. In addition, the disposition is considerably faster in non-judicial states, where sales rates are four times higher than judicial states.
Instead of this program, NAR has repeatedly asked for improved lending to creditworthy home buyers and has urged lenders to make more loan modifications, mortgage refinancings, and short sales to help stabilize struggling housing markets. "While REO-to-rental programs could be successful in a few communities, we believe that doing more to ensure mortgage availability for qualified home buyers and investors could be even more beneficial in helping absorb excess foreclosure inventories across the country," said Veissi.
NAR strongly suggests that a national advisory board be created to ensure that the program truly benefits the local community, minimizes taxpayer losses, and stabilizes home values. In addition, NAR urges substantial participation of local market experts, especially licensed real estate professionals, who have unparalleled knowledge of local market conditions.
Read entire article here >
Consumer Tip: Save Energy and Money in the Kitchen
In the last issue of REALTOR®
Connection we gave you tips on how to Spring Clean in ways that are both easy on the environment and your wallet. Now let's break it down by focusing on the rooms where the most energy and money are likely being thrown away. Maintaining your kitchen (especially the appliances) is part of a smart home energy efficiency plan. With these 10 helpful tips, you can save over $100 a year in the kitchen alone, and be kinder to the planet.
Refrigerator / Freezer
Ovens / Range
- By setting the thermostat colder than it needs to be, you increase your fridge's energy consumption by up to 25%. The refrigerator should be adjusted so it remains between 37-40 degrees, the freezer 0-5 degrees.
- Dust and dirt restricts cool air flow and force your appliance to work harder and longer than necessary. Every six months, vacuum the dust that accumulates on the coils (located at the rear / bottom of the fridge).
- Automatic ice makers use up a lot of energy. By switching them off and using trays, you can reduce the energy consumption by 14 to 20%. You can also reclaim the lost space in your freezer.
- Many homes have an extra (usually older) unit that runs year round, even if it is only used sparingly. By consolidating the contents to the main fridge, you eliminate the entire operating cost of one appliance.
- Turn off the stovetop or oven a few minutes before cooking is done. The burners and stove (especially if it's electric) will remain hot for quite awhile after the power is off.
- Make sure to always match the burner to the pan so electricity is not used to heat the kitchen instead of the food. For a gas stove, don't let the flames lick the sides of the pot.
- Many cooks agree that preheating is unnecessary except when baking cakes or breads. This may add a few minutes to the overall cooking time, but it eliminates the wasted time and energy on the front end.
- Most dishwashers use the same amount of water and energy whether they are full or empty. Run the machine only when it is full and cut operating costs by up to 50% annually.
- Using energy-saving features, such as air dry, can also save you up to 50% on operating cost. If your model doesn't have any of these features, simply turn it off after the final rinse and open the door.
- A dishwasher requires less than one-third the water it would take to do dishes in the sink. Not doing dishes by hand and running the machine (when full) instead, you can dramatically cut down the operating time of your hot water heater - your home's largest energy hog.
For more useful tips, go to houselogic.com.
Women's Council of REALTORS®
Prince George's Chapter - Join Today
We are a network of successful REALTORS®
empowering women to exercise their potential as entrepreneurs and industry leaders. Through our influence as successful business professionals, the women and men
who are members of WCR will effect positive change in the profession and in the broader community.
Join the Prince George's Chapter by signing up today!
Click Here for More Information >
Sales Coach: Steps to Build Your Best Business Plan
In any business, the work is usually not the hard part, the self-discipline is. That is why it's important to have a workable strategy in place that you will stick to until your goals are met. Here are some steps that will ensure your plan works for your career and your life. Most can be completed in 15 minutes or less, none should take more than one hour. Complete this plan over the next month (this will allow time for your anxiety to fall and your creativity to rise), and you'll have the most productive year ever.
- Make a list of dream priorities.
- Answer these questions: What do I want my real estate career to do for my life? Why is that important? Who else will benefit? How will they benefit? Why is that important?
- Choose one dream priority and list what you'd like to accomplish in that area by the end of each month.
- Answer this question: What are my three greatest strengths that will contribute to my success this year?
- Consider what shortcomings are costing you money and how you could increase production if you improved them.
- Identify indicators of your strengthened skills that you should see in twelve months (what you want to stop or start doing, do more of, buy, practice). Then decide which actions you will take to strengthen that skill.
- Quickly figure out the amount of income, sales volume, and number of sales that will put you on your way to the success you envision.
- Multiply the number of sales you want by two, then divide that result by 40 (20 sales x 2 = 40; divided by
40 = 1.) That is how many new clients you need each week to achieve your goal.
Remember: The person who has the best plan is not the winner.
It is the one who puts the plan into action.
For More Details and to Read All 16 Steps, Click Here.
Earn All MD and DC Required CEU at PGCAR
All classes are held at PGCAR offices, just off the Route 202 / Landover Road exit of I-495. Find our NEW association office at 9200 Basil Court, Suite 400, Largo, MD 20774. There's plenty of parking.
Disclosure of Secured Interest in Listed Property
Buyer X was interested in purchasing a home listed with REALTOR® B but lacked the down payment. REALTOR® B offered to lend Buyer X money for the down payment in return for Buyer X's promissory note secured by a mortgage on the property. The purchase transaction was subsequently completed, though REALTOR® B did not record the promissory note or the mortgage instrument.
Within months Buyer X returned to REALTOR® B to list the property because Buyer X was unexpectedly transferred to another state. REALTOR® B listed the property, which was subsequently sold to Purchaser P. The title search conducted by Purchaser P's lender did not disclose the existence of the mortgage held by REALTOR® B since it had not been recorded, nor did REALTOR® B disclose the existence of the mortgage to Purchaser P. The proceeds of the sale enabled Buyer X to satisfy the first mortgage on the property, and he and REALTOR® B agreed that he would continue to repay REALTOR® B's loan.
Following the closing, REALTOR® B recorded both the promissory note and the mortgage instrument. When Purchaser P learned of this, he filed an ethics complaint alleging that REALTOR® B had violated Article 4 by selling property in which she had a secured interest without revealing that interest to the purchaser.
Based on your understanding of the Code of Ethics Article 4, how do you think the Professional Standards Panel ruled?
Find out here >>
Free Hands-On MRIS Tools Training at PGCAR
Offered Two Times in One Day for Your Convenience!
Next Tuesday, March 27
10:00 am - 11:30 am OR 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Keystone 100: The New Keystone Homepage. In this demonstration of the new Keystone Homepage that is coming out soon, you will see how to edit your listings with just a few clicks, make price adjustments on the fly, pre-schedule changes to your listings, customize what information you want to see for every listing and so much more.
Visit www.mris.com/training for details and registration. Advance registration with MRIS is required.
REALTORS® Federal Credit Union
Need a New Car? Hurry! Get the Special Auto Loan Rate Before March 31!
Are you a member of the REALTORS®
Federal Credit Union?
Do you, or a member of your immediate family, need a new car?
Then do we have a deal for you! NAR and Chrysler Group have partnered up to offer members an amazing purchase package, which includes:
- $500 cash allowance on the purchase or lease of select 2012 Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram models, PLUS
- FREE 2-year service agreement (including oil changes, lube and filter), PLUS
- Financing rates as low as 3.49% through the REALTORS® Federal Credit Union.
Hurry though! Special new auto loan rates are good through March 31, 2012!!
For more information, visit NAR's REALTOR® Benefits Program Partner Chrysler Group LLC.
Join the REALTOR® FCU Online >
It only takes 15 minutes!
Membership Renewals Past Due
Brokers and non-paid Agents
- January 31 was the deadline to pay 2011 - 2012 dues or remove any unpaid agents from your office roster. All new, licensed agents in your office were also required to join
by January 31.
Renew Online, or please call the office at 301-306-7900 to renew.