|Members Only | Forms | Education | Calendar
January 9, 2018
PGCAR is OPEN at our NEW Home!
PGCAR is now OPEN at our NEW HOME at 8300 Corporate Drive, Suite 100, Landover, MD 20785.
We are open for business with a new look and modern office design as of December 26.
Our phone number, fax number and email communications have not changed.
We appreciate your cooperation and support, and look forward to seeing you at PGCAR's new home!
We value you as a member and thank you for your patience as we transitioned to our new office space in December!
As you know, the 2018 Dues payments were due on October 31, 2017. Typically, a late charge of $75 is added to all unpaid accounts after midnight November 30. Due to PGCAR's office move and our systems being reconnected, we are delighted to inform you that the PGCAR Board of Directors authorized a reprieve on late fees for all non-paid accounts. This has enabled those to pay their Dues after the October 31 deadline without paying the late fee!
PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The Late Fee of $75 will be assessed at 12:01 am Monday, January 15 to all unpaid accounts. This late fee is non-refundable and will not be waived.
Renewing at pgcar.com is as Easy as 1-2-3:
All unpaid accounts as of midnight Sunday, February 4 will be terminated. Termination incurs an additional $125 reinstatement fee. This reinstatement fee is non-refundable and will not be waived.
- Click here
- Log in
- Renew online and receive receipt!
to receive an emailed, itemized receipt.
Thank you for being a part of PGCAR!
As of January 2, SentriLock Access REQUIRES Minimum Password and Unique Emails
PLEASE DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU NEED TO SHOW A LISTING.
Haven't updated or tried logging in lately? Do so NOW.
SentriLock's new minimum password standard is six (6) characters, with one (1) upper case letter, one (1) lower case letter, and one (1) numeric value. SentriLock will also require that each SentriLock Account have a unique (NON-shared) email associated with it. SentriLock Users will need to update their password to meet the new requirements and must use a unique email (no shared emails will be accepted going forward), prior to being able to log into the SentriLock Lockbox website or SentriSmartTM mobile app after 1/2/2018.
You can update your password to the new requirements in the SentriSmartTM App (iOS or Android) or the SentriLock Lockbox web site.
Once a password and/or email has been updated in SentriLock, imported passwords and emails will be ignored. After making the required updates, SentriLock Users will only be able to change their passwords and/or emails in the SentriLock system.
- Help Page: Click here to learn more on how to manage your account preferences.
- Customer Support: 513.618.5800 or 1.877.736.8745 (toll free)
10th Annual PGCAR Holiday Charity Event:
REALTORS® Work to Feed Hundreds in Prince George's County
Prince George's County Association of REALTORS®
, the county's leading advocate for real estate and private property rights, held a charity event on December 7, 2017, and raised $8,000 to feed those in need during this holiday season. Over 370 REALTORS®
were in attendance to support the event.
recognize that the current economic climate continues to be challenging for everyone this year. "We are so pleased to support this important endeavor again this year," said Association President, Cheryl Abrams Davis. "There is always someone in greater need than yourself, and we want to give back to the community."
Proceeds from the event were used to purchase and pack complete holiday food baskets, and provide them in time for the Christmas Holiday. In addition, coats and jackets were collected and donated to the Mission of Love
Faye Smith, Chair of the REALTORS®
Community Service Committee heading up the REALTOR®
project is enthusiastic. "I am so proud to be a part of an organization with such strong roots in the community," said Ms. Smith.
A festive dinner, music and dancing were enjoyed by all in attendance.
Open to all current PGCAR Primary Members holding a broker or salespersons license, with $2.5 Million or more in 2017 production, and in good standing on or before July 1, 2017. Members licensed for the first time during 2017 must be a PGCAR Primary Member in good standing on or before September 30, 2017.
Then Apply Using the Required Award Entry Form:
ALL Award Entry Forms with Entrance Fees
MUST be received by
5 pm on Friday, February 16, 2018.
(Entry Fee does not include the dinner celebration.)
Maryland REALTORS® Lobby Day
Join us Wednesday, January 17 in Annapolis
The event begins at 10 am at The Governor Calvert House in Annapolis
with a continental breakfast, where we'll hear an overview of MAR's legislative agenda and remarks by Maryland State leadership. The Governor has been invited to speak. We will then progress to House and Senate offices to lobby for homeowner and REALTOR®
issues with legislators and their staff.
Last year at this event, hundreds of your fellow REALTORS®
traveled to Annapolis to hear about key legislative initiatives affecting the real estate industry. REALTORS®
met with legislators and legislative staff telling them the importance of issues, like: simpler open house disclosure rules; and the lengthy foreclosure process. As a result of those meetings, legislation was passed and signed into law simplyfing open house rules and shortening the foreclosure process for vacant and abandoned properties. And legislation proposing expensive septic tank changes was defeated.
Help your industry and your clients by joining efforts to lobby this year for tax-free homebuyer savings accounts and consumer protections for escrow monies.
Lobby day is a good way to network with colleagues from across the state and make a positive change for our industry.
Please allow extra time for traffic and parking. Plan to arrive early and enjoy some coffee, be there in plenty of time for the 10 am briefing.
LEGISLATIVE ALERT - January 2018
Dwayne Mingo, Director of Governmental Affairs
SMOKE ALARM REQUIREMENTS FOR
ALL RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY IN MARYLAND:
NEW REQUIREMENTS EFFECTIVE AS OF JANUARY 1, 2018
ALL provisions from 2013 legislation covering "Smoke Alarm Requirements for Residential Property in Maryland
" are now in effect. Below is a reprint of the full PGCAR Legislative Alert to members, first published July 1, 2013. The requirements which are newly in effect as of January 1, 2018 are highlighted in bold red.
Sale Requirements as of July 1, 2013:
New Construction (including renovation) after July 1, 2013:
- Language added to the Seller disclosure form asking sellers to indicate whether the smoke alarms are over 10 years old and whether they have sealed, tamper resistant batteries
- This requirement applies to contracts entered into after July 1, 2013
- Number of alarms:
- 1 alarm in each sleeping room
- 1 alarm in each hallway or common area outside of the sleeping rooms
- 1 alarm in a hallway or common area on each level, including basements but excluding unoccupied attics, garages, and crawl spaces
- If more than two alarms are required in a new residential dwelling, the alarms shall be configured to sound simultaneously
- The alarms shall operate on alternating current (AC) with a battery backup or approved secondary power source
- This is the same requirement as the current 2012 International Residential Code and was already being enforced by building permit offices since 2006
Single-Family Rentals (one to two dwelling units) after July 1, 2013
- For properties built before July 1, 1975:
- Number of alarms:
- At least one alarm either battery operated or AC
- After January 1, 2018 (NEW REQUIREMENT)
- At least one alarm on each level of the home (excluding unoccupied attics, garages)
- Battery alarms after 2018 must be sealed, long-life battery smoke alarms with a silence / hush button feature
- For properties built between July 1, 1975 - January 1, 1989:
- Number of alarms:
- At least one AC smoke alarm installed in the sleeping area
- After January 1, 2018 (NEW REQUIREMENT)
- At least one alarm in a sleeping area and one alarm on each level of the home.
- The new alarms may be battery-operated as long as they are sealed, long-life battery smoke alarms with a silence / hush button feature
- No alarm should be older than 10 years
- For properties built between January 1, 1989 - July 1, 1990:
- Number of alarms:
- At least one alarm outside of each sleeping area and on each additional story of the home, including the basement but not unoccupied attics, garages or crawl spaces
- Alarms must be AC and interconnected to alarm simultaneously
- After January 1, 2018 (NEW REQUIREMENT)
- No change to the number of alarms, but no alarm should be older than 10 years
- For properties built between July 1, 1990 and July 1, 2013:
- Same requirement as the Jan. 1 1989 - July 1, 1990 properties except that the alarms must be AC AND have battery back-up
- NOTE: some counties required more stringent rules including alarms in each bedroom for new construction
Multi-Family Rentals (more than two dwelling units)
- Alarms must be upgraded if:
- Existing alarms exceed 10 years from date of manufacture
- Existing alarms fail to operate or malfunction
- A change in tenancy occurs and the residence has not been previously equipped with sealed, long-life battery smoke alarms with silence / hush button features
- AC alarms must be upgraded to new AC alarms
- Battery alarms must be upgraded to sealed, long-life battery smoke alarms with silence/hush button features
- Alarms must be located on each level of the residence excluding unoccupied attics, garages, or crawl spaces
- Any additional alarm required by the new law may be battery operated as long as it is a sealed, long-life battery with silence/hush button features
- Alarms must be AC powered
- Multi-family units constructed after July 1, 1990 must be AC powered with battery back-up
- Landlords must provide special alarms for the deaf or hard of hearing, and may require reimbursement for those alarms
- Landlords are responsible for the installation, repair and replacement of smoke alarms
- Tenants are responsible for testing the units and notifying the landlord in writing of the failure or malfunction of the unit
- No alarms should be older than 10 years unless the alarms have been sensitivity tested and properly calibrated on an annual basis per current fire codes
Should you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Dwayne Mingo at PGCAR, 301-306-7900 or firstname.lastname@example.org
30 Under 30
Apply Today for the 2018 Class of 30 Under 30
Have you always dreamed of one day being named a REALTOR® Magazine 30 Under 30 honoree? This could be your year. Tell us how you're killing it in sales, taking on leadership roles, or making a difference in your community by filling out an application today.
The deadline is Friday, January 12.
Apply Today >
First CEU Classes to be Held at the NEW PGCAR Office!
Still Only $18 for 3 CEU; $11 for 1.5 CEU
Wednesday, January 18
MD Legislative Update
- 3 MD Required Legislative Update CEU (Cat. A); 3 DC Elective CEU
MD Fair Housing
- 1.5 MD Required Fair Housing CEU (Cat. C); 1.5 DC Elective CEU
Wednesday, January 31
MD Code of Ethics
- 3 MD Required Ethics CEU (Cat. D); 3 DC Elective CEU
All classes are held at PGCAR offices, just off the Exit 19 / US 50 exit of I-495. Find our association office at 8300 Corporate Drive, Suite 100, Landover, MD 20785. There's plenty of parking!
Save the most by registering 3 days or more in advance.
Register for multiple classes at www.PGCAR.com/classes >
PGCAR Member Benefits
It Pays to Be a Member!
YOUR Membership in the Prince George's County Association of REALTORS® = $1,445 in discounted services!
Get the most from your membership!
Did you know? You can view your CE hours which are electronically recorded for a Maryland or a DC license.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
PGCAR will be closed Monday, January 15 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday.
- - - CONSUMER'S CORNER - - -
Great reasons to stay in touch! Share these with your customers.
Do you know a Prince George's County Public High School Senior who wants to further his / her education and is already making a difference in the community?
Alert them to submit a David and Juanita Maclin Memorial Scholarship application before Wednesday, February 28. Winners will receive a $2,500 scholarship towards further education in any community college, university or trade school.
Please also share this with Principals and Teachers at your local schools, so you may enable someone who may not have received the materials to share this opportunity with their class.
You can make an important difference in the life of a student!
Scholarship Letter • Scholarship Application • Permission Slip
Scholarship Applications are Due Wednesday, February 28.
"Treasury yields fell from a week ago, helping to drive mortgage rates down to start the year. The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage fell 4 basis points from a week ago to 3.95 percent in the year's first survey. Despite increases in short-term interest rates, long-term interest rates remain subdued," stated by Sean Becketti, Freddie Mac Chief Economist.
"The 30-year mortgage rate is down a quarter of a percentage point from where it was a year ago and the spread between the 30-year fixed and 5/1 adjustable rate mortgage is the lowest since 2009. With the FOMC minutes
showing continued support for gradual increases in policy rates from many participants and inflation rates remaining low, there isn't much upward pressure on long-term rates at the moment. Whether that changes due to a tighter labor market and the economic impact of tax reform remains to be seen."
Freddie Mac reports the following averages for the week ending January 4:
The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.95%, down from 3.99% ~ Last year: 4.20%
The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.38%, down from 3.44% ~ Last year: 3.44%
The 5-year Treasury-indexed hybrid ARM averaged 3.45%, down from 3.47% ~ Last year: 3.33%
Freddie Mac's Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey >
PRINCE GEORGE'S HOME SALES STATISTICS
to see the most current home sales, as well as past statistics.
And don't forget! Like PGCAR on Facebook
to see monthly statistics first!
December 2017 statistics will be available sometime between now and noon Wednesday.
- - - NEWS AND TRENDS - - -
Reminders, trends and other news you should know.
National News & Market Surveys
2018 Election News
We will start including articles about Prince George's candidates and issues in the 2018 elections for Maryland Governor, Prince George's County Executive, and other state or local elections. Our intent is to be unbiased in this listing yet with a special focus on Prince George's, including articles that can help keep you informed on varied candidates, positions and issues.
8300 Corporate Drive, Suite 100 | Landover, MD 20785 | Phone 301.306.7900 | Fax 301.306.8273