Say NO to stopping townhome developments - Contact your County decisionmakers NOW

LEGISLATIVE ALERT - Updated June 12, 2023
Dwayne Mingo, Director of Government Affairs

ACT NOW TO STOP THE TWO (2) YEAR MORATORIUM ON TOWNHOME AND TOWNHOME-RELATED DEVELOPMENTS


The Prince George's County Council is considering a bill, CB-52-2023, that would seek to prohibit for a period of two (2) years the approval of townhouse or townhouse-related development within certain areas of the county. As specified in the bill, the areas that would be exempt from the two-year moratorium are Plan 2035 Regional Transit Districts, Local Transit Centers, and Local Centers; Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments Activity Centers and designated Transit-Oriented or Revitalization areas.


Please urge your County Council officials to oppose CB-52-2023. We believe the legislation poses a series of concerns with regard to development within the County. The effort to limit development and townhome construction is counterproductive to our local housing needs. Where we support incentivizing residential development at our transit hubs, REALTORS® are vividly OPPOSED to this effort to restrict townhome development in other areas of the county.

Click here to send an email to OPPOSE CB-52-2023 and let your elected official know,
NO TO A MORATORIUM ON TOWNHOME AND TOWNHOME-RELATED DEVELOPMENTS!

Then Join your PGCAR colleagues and other concerned citizens on Thursday, June 15 to say NO in person, to a moratorium on townhome and townhome-related developments!
A public hearing for CB-52-2023 is scheduled before the Planning, Housing and Economic Development Committee (PHED) on Thursday, June 15 at 10:00 am at the Wayne K. Curry Administration Building, 1301 McCormick Drive, Largo, MD 20774.

We have a housing shortage in the DC metro area, not to mention, a severe affordable housing shortage. There is very much a "missing middle" in our housing landscape. Townhomes are often that "middle" market product sought after by singles, first-time home buyers, young families, and workforce housing. Stifling this option will drive up the cost of our existing housing stock and lessen opportunities for homeownership and generational wealth building.

As a result of the proposed legislation, residents will potentially suffer from the inability to find housing, and the deficit of available housing will increase. Home prices will escalate, effectively pricing out potential residents who select other counties as their residence, and Prince George's County will likely suffer in its ability to support the population growth and diversity needed to retain/and or attract and grow commercial, retail, and business development within the County.

As you most likely are aware, real estate is a major contributor to Prince George's County's budget. In fact, 72% of Prince George's County's budget is paid for by residential property owners through real property taxes, transfer taxes, recordation taxes, etc. with the other 28% coming from commercial revenue.

REALTORS® understand the importance of homeownership. The sale or purchase of a home is one of the most significant events in a person's or a family's life. It shapes the hopes, dreams, aspirations, and economic destiny of those involved. Owning a home is also one of the keys to financial independence, security, and generational wealth building.

"If real estate is your profession, politics is your business."

Please take a moment and voice your opposition to this bill to your respective legislator >
THEY NEED TO HEAR DIRECTLY FROM YOU!

Should you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Dwayne Mingo, Director of Government Affairs for the association at 301-306-7900 or by email at dmingo@pgcar.com.

News articles: